"On YouTube we find that authenticity and storytelling tend to be more important than the quality of the video."
- Jessica Mason

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Welcome to the World of YouTube

What is YouTube?
If you do not know the answer to the previous question, have you been living under a rock?
I don't judge, so if you are living under a rock, this blog is here to help. 

In today's society, YouTube is one of the most visited websites worldwide. In my opinion, YouTube keeps influencing our society as technology is becoming more and more open to the world. YouTube is a website created with the purpose of video sharing all across the globe, whether they're songs, original videos, music videos, trailers, educational videos, TV and movie clips, vlogs, or many more different styles. I believe that the fact that you can find almost anything on YouTube in relation to videos, is completely mind blowing. 

During the early months of 2005, Chad Hurley and Steve Chen elaborated on the idea of YouTube at a dinner party in San Francisco due to the difficulties they had trying to share videos from that night. The website was produced on February 14, 2005 by Chad, Steve and Jawed Karim, all former employees of PayPal. On April 23, 2005, the first YouTube video was uploaded, titled "Me at the zoo", which was shot at the San Diego Zoo presenting the co-founder Jawed Karim. That video is still up to watch on the web to this day, which is super cool. (I placed the video down below if you wanted to check it out!) In November 2006, Google. Inc. bought YouTube for $1.65 billion. I put total confidence in when I say that ever since then, YouTube has become more and more successful. There is around 300 hours of footage posted on YouTube each minute passing and people witnesses around hundreds of millions of hours of video every day. That kind of scares when I think about it like that because this is what our generation has come to. Although, I still strongly believe that YouTube is a great invention.


Personally, I love YouTube and I believe that YouTube is an outstanding network for many different reasons. It allows verified users to upload videos of various lengths, which I think is pretty cool. For example, if you wanted to simply post a video to share with your distant friends and family, there is no restriction for the length of time. YouTube is also free to watch and free to post videos. That means that YouTube does not require a membership to watch the videos posted, nor does it require a fee to create an account and start uploading. We could also talk about the fact that YouTube is a great way to express your creativity and personality to the whole world. As a matter of fact, YouTube is useful in many ways because of its variety of videos. There are tons of different videos on YouTube pertaining to all sorts of subjects and ideas. Therefore, I watch YouTube quite often and I consider YouTube to be one of the most useful and entertaining websites ever created, do you feel the same way? 

References: 

8 comments:

  1. Extremely good blog, for someone you uses youtube very often, i know the importance of this website, and that it is very usefull worldwide, i also liked the backround and format of the blog, its very well done, i look foward to see what you do next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joseph! I'm glad you understand it's importance and you use the website often! Thanks for commenting such nice things about my background and formatting. I spent quite a while trying to make it look appearing so I'm very glad that it was worth the time! Thanks, please come back soon :)

      Delete
  2. Great post Kimmy, I really love your topic of YouTube. YouTube is one of my favorite sites and it's easy to find a video on what you're looking for. I loved how you talked about YouTube's past and shared the first video ever created. I agree with you that YouTube influences our society and it's such a incredible and useful website.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Rachelle! I really loved hearing that you enjoyed the topic I chose and you found my blog interesting. YouTube is one of my favorite websites too, so I'm glad we have that in common! You're welcome for talking about YouTube's past! Please feel free to come back anytime! :)

      Delete
  3. This was such a great blog post! I’m definitely one of those people who spend around 80% of their time on YouTube so I understand how influential it can be. I really love how you included the back story and the first video ever made on YouTube! YouTube is a giant community filled with strangers who can come together and share common interests; it’s only continuing to grow and will continue to attract many people. I really enjoy your blog so far, keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Faith! Don't worry, I am too! I thought people might enjoy the first video ever posted on YouTube, not many people knew about it. I like the way you're thinking! I totally agree with you, YouTube will only get bigger and bigger as society develops. I'm super glad you liked it! :)

      Delete
  4. Kimmy, I really enjoyed reading this blog about youtube and I learnt a lot that I did not know before. I really think more people would enjoy readign your blog because many people spend a lot of time on youtube. Great blog keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you so much Emma! i am so glad that you enjoyed my blog post. I am also very happy that you've learned something from it. I am surprised you think that way Emma, because I agree with you! Thank you again, I would love to hear from you any time on my future posts! I will definitely try and keep up my good work! :)

      Delete